Crewe Hall in Knutsford, Cheshire - United Kingdom Crewe Hall, stately home of Earls of Crewe was built in 1615 by Lord Randolph Crewe, Lord Chancellor to King Charles II. Prior to 1922 when the Crewe family left, there would have been around 100 servants. In 1936 Lord Crewe sold the Hall to the Duchy of Lancaster and as such belonged to the Crown. From 1939 to 1946 Crew Hall was occupied by the War Department used as a prisoner of war camp for over 2000 high ranking German officers. This jewel in Cheshire sits in 25 acres of gardens and grounds with 25 magnificent individually furnished bedrooms, state rooms, huge marble fireplaces, Jacobean staircase regarded as one of the finest specimens of Elizabethan architecture and a private chapel. A further 25 rooms have recently been fitted with VingCard Classic locks with Vision software extending the existing system installed in Spring 2001.